Skiathos is a spectacular island that belongs to the complex of Sporades. It is a cosmopolitan destination with many interesting attractions, a wide choice of hotels and restaurants and stunning beaches. Plan & Book your vacations to Skiathos online at www.greektrip.gr or via phone at Sporades Shipping.
Skiathos has a turbulent history, marked by the Venetians, the Byzantines, the Ottomans and the pirates and this explains the numerous sightseeing opportunities visitors have in this little paradise. The island is also famous for its sandy beaches, the lush greenery and the vivid nightlife, which is why holidays in Skiathos are particularly popular among young visitors. The southern side of the island is dotted with fantastic beaches, like Koukounaries, Banana, Agia Paraskevi, Kanapitsa and more. The countryside has few interesting monasteries to visit. From Skiathos there are day cruises to the other islands of Sporades and Pelion.
In 2008 the film “Mamma Mia” was shot in Skiathos and in the neighboring areas of Skopelos and Pelion. Once you visit the old port you will recognize the scenery where Meryl Streep and the other cast were performing.
By airplane: Scheduled domestic flights operate between Athens International Airport and the island of Skiathos. During the summer months there are also numerous charter flights from many European cities, like Amsterdam, Vienna, Milan, Berlin, Zurich, Oslo, Munich, Stockholm, Frankfurt etc.
By ferry: Skiathos is connected by ferry boat with Volos (321 km from Athens), Agios Konstantinos (165 km from Athens) and Thessaloniki. Book your tickets by contacting us at Sporades Shipping or online at greektrip.gr. However, during the summer months it is also connected with the islands of Alonnisos, Skopelos, Syros, Santorini, Paros, Naxos, Tinos and Heraklion by highspeed flying dolphins.
MUST-DO & BEACHES
- Bourtzi:Bourtzi is a tiny peninsula at the entrance of the port that divides it in two parts. A fortress was built there in the 13th Century to protect the town, however today only few ruins survive. This is a nice place to have a rest among the many pine trees.
- Medieval Castle:The Castle of Skiathos is located on the northern side of the island, accessible by boat or through a track path. This is a former Medieval town built on a rocky cliff. In the area, there are remains of old structures such as churches, walls, baths and many more.
- House of Alexander Papadiamantis:One of Greece’s most prominent writers and poets. His house was built by his father in 1860, it has two floors and it’s quite simple. Today it’s a museum, with the writer’s books, clothes and various artifacts. It’s located on the eastern part of the town, in a small dead-end street.
- Lalaria beach:A beach famous for its round, white pebbles. It is accessible only by boat, weather permitted, and it doesn’t offer any shade or facilities. However the natural beauty is just stunning. On its right side, the cliffs are sculpted by the strong waves and the winds, creating a natural gate.
- Koukounaries beach:Among the 7 best beaches in the world! The famous pine forest reaches all the way to the water giving the sea this extraordinary emerald color. It is very long, with extra fine golden sand and excellent infrastructure. The natural beauty is stunning. Right behind it, there is a lagoon which is also a stunning wetland with rare fauna and flora.
Scuba diving: Discover the island’s emerald waters and get amazed by the unique underwater kingdom! Most Skiathos diving centers are found on the southern side of the island, in beaches like Tzaneria, Koukounaries, Vromolimnos and Vassilias. These centers offer courses for all ages, rent the necessary equipment and organize diving trips to interesting reefs and uninhabited islands. Upon proper guidance, scuba diving can also be practiced at night!