Ios is a typical Cycladic island and one of the most preferred destinations when it comes to entertainment. Offering a large array of bars and clubs mainly scattered aroundt the picturesque Town of Ios.
Although it is mostly famous as a youth destination, Ios Island has many places off-the beaten-track. Visitors love the traditional style of Ios town and the sandy beaches, the countless churches and the numerous sights of archeological interest. Holidays in Ios can be both peaceful and intense, depending on your preferences. There are places in Ios where families with kids can spend a relaxing holiday and also places like Mylopotas with the beach bars and watersports that are fantastic for the youngsters.
Hora, the main town of Ios, is the centre of activities on the island with many shops, hotels and bars.
By ferry: Ios can be reached by highspeed and conventional ferries. During the summer months there are daily scheduled itineraries from the ports of Piraeus and Rafina. The highspeed boat ride takes about 4.5hrs and the conventional ferry takes up to 7-8hrs, depending on the layovers. Ios is also connected to the other islands of the Cyclades complex (Santorini, Mykonos, Paros, Tinos, Syros, Folegandros, etc).
Tip: During high season the bars of Hora become very crowded and are recommended for youngsters only.
- Homer’s tomb: According to the myth, Homer was buried in Ios. His tomb is said to be in the location of Plakotos, on top of a hill. Access is easy by car and visitors can also admire the magnificent view from up there.
- Archaeological Museum of Ios: Located in Chora. It hosts a vast collection of exhibits fount on the island between the 3rd Millennium BC until the Roman Era. The Museum is open every day apart from Mondays.
- Prehistoric settlement of Skarkos: At a close proximity to the port, excavations have brought to light one of the most important prehistoric settlements.
- Mylopotas beach: Long sandy beach, offering many tourism facilities and a lot of beach bars along the coast. This is the most popular beach on Ios. Located at 2km from Chora.
- Manganari beach: Manganaribay features one of the most enchanting landscapes of Ios. This beach is by far quieter than the beaches close to Chora. Located at 19km from Chora.
- Aghia Theodoti beach: The beach took its name from the small chapel of AghiaTheodoti that stands on a hill above the coast. This is a large and sandy spot, ideal for relaxation. Located at 9km from Chora.
Private day-cruise to Santorini: Ios is locted very close to Santorini so it is a good idea to charter a motor yacht and take a private cruise to Santorini. You will get the chance to experience the unique aura of the Aegean Sea and of course relax on board, swim in undiscovered waters and admire the infamous Santorini sunset in total privacy!